Saturday, April 2, 2011

ride on!


Today Alpha Phi went on a sisterhood retreat to Carowinds Amusement Park in Charlotte, NC. Let me tell you, I have been in NEED of a retreat! It was so nice to just get out of Blacksburg for a day and enjoy some fun in the sun.

The day started off at 8am when the charter bus arrived at the Alpha Phi house. I made my little sleepover at my place the night before to make sure that I woke up...early mornings are NOT my specialty.

Sure enough, Emily and I show up to the Alpha Phi house and we are dressed identical to KJ and Lindsey. Not intentional, so embarrassing, and SO typical.


After a 3 hour bus ride (much longer than anticipated), we finally made it to Carowinds! We were all so anxious to get off the bus and into the park. But not so fast. Our bus driver didn't quite know where the entrance of the park was, so we drove around for an extra 30 minutes trying to find where to get off. But we finally made it to the bus parking lot and were free!


The first thing we wanted to do was get on an insane roller coaster. So most of the us got in line for Nighthawk. We waited in line for probably over an hour.


Worth it! Literally the scariest roller coaster I have EVER been on. You lay down in your seat and are basically either looking up at the sky or down at the ground/water the whole time. Usually I am a screamer on roller coasters, but this one was so scary I couldn't even scream!!



After that we needed a breather, so we met up with the rest of the aphis and got lunch at Joe Cool's Burgers and Pizza. Gotta love Snoopy themed restaurants!

Next up, more thrill rides! So we headed over to another roller coaster called Afterburn. Let me tell you, this one was WAY more intense than I had anticipated too. It was one where your feet dangle in the air, which I love, but I did not realize how fast it went and how many corkscrews there were. I loved it!

Our next adventure was to go on one of those pirate ships that go back and forth and upside down. So we all get on, and apparently something is wrong with the safety gate. So basically we were stuck in the suffocating lap belts and chest belts for about 20 minutes. People were freaking out! Alexandra, Carly, Victoria, and I remained calm and insisted on staying on the ride. We had already waited so long! But after the 20 minute wait they told us that they had to run maintenance checks, so we couldn't stay on and ride it.

The wind was apparently really strong for Charlotte today, so a lot of the rides (including Intimidator) were closed down due to the strong gusts. We all thought that was really funny because the wind today was nothing compared to the wind tunnel that is Blacksburg, VA.


Oh well! We went on other fun rides instead. Like bumper cars! I love reliving childhood memories at theme parks.



All in all, today was perfect. Nothing beats spending time with amazing sisters in a place as thrilling and happy as Carowinds Amusement Park. Sisterhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment