Tuesday, December 14, 2010

well hello, jack frost

Beep beep beeeeep went my alarm at 6:00 this morning. I don't think I have woken up that early for school since my freshman year of high school. It was dark out. And the wind was howling so loud I thought the walls were going to collapse. I had my FINAL final exam at 7:45am. Not only was it the WORST timing for an Econ final, but also the WORST possible weather to battle on the way. At 7:00 this morning, it was about 12 degrees in Blacksburg, with a wind chill making it feel like -9. WHAT?!

After eating breakfast and taking my time getting ready this morning, I bundled up to face the frozen tundra. I walked outside of Rutherford and waited at the bus stop for a good 10 minutes. With no bus in sight, I became a little concerned that it wasn't going to show up. I pulled out my bus schedule, and it said the first bus time check was 7:15. 

So I walked up to look across the street to see if I had missed the bus coming to my stop. Sure enough, there was the Patrick Henry bus waiting at the time check. It was 7:13, I had 2 minutes to get from point a to point b. I ran as hard as I have ever run to make it across the street and down the hill to the bus JUST in time. Keep in mind that the wind was blowing SO hard against me I almost fell to the ground about 3 times on the way over. It sounds funny now, but at the time I couldn't breathe, my throat was so dry I am pretty sure I was coughing up blood, and my heart was pounding at the thought of missing my final exam that was worth 40% of my Econ grade.

Upon getting on the bus, I sat in shock for the 10 minutes it took to get to campus. It was way too early to have gone through all of that. My body was still thawing from the treacherous sprint to the bus, and I still had about a 7 minute walk from the bus stop on campus to my exam room. So I battled the elements again, the wind blowing, my fingers and toes numb, and jack frost biting at my face. This morning was unreal. I am laughing about it now as I type this, had to share this story with all my blogfrogs. Cheers to the end of a great semester and a wonderful winter break ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment