Friday, August 24, 2012

my summer with SCA


So I know I should have written this post MONTHS ago when my internship with the Student Conservation Association ended in June, but I just haven't had the time to sit down and reflect on my experience until now.

The first 6 weeks of summer I spent commuting to Arlington to work as a Marketing Intern for the SCA. Mrs. Reimann, one of my Mom's close friends, worked some magic and landed me this internship with the Arlington office. I was so grateful that they took me in and allowed me to work for them, essentially creating my own intern program.

Throughout my 6 weeks, I worked on many different projects. I started off working on the SCA's summer programs for high school and college students. I used travel sites to book planes all over the nation for the students, managed excel sheets, emails, and annual reports, and worked on the students' training materials and packages.


A few weeks later, the SCA had me exploring their new social network, jointhesca.org. I created a page for myself and started building content from there. I went through thousands of pictures from past SCA events to upload to the page, helped the D.C. network grow, and helped SCA alum get connected to the site.

My favorite and final project, however, was assisting the VP of Marketing in the planning and execution of SCA's 55th Anniversary Day of Service and Reception. Together, Jamie and I picked the venue, worked with the caterers, managed the VIP and RSVP lists, and did everything in between to make the event absolutely amazing!

June 26th was my last day as an SCA intern, and I couldn't imagine a more perfect ending than the SCA 55th Anniversary celebration! I learned more than I could have ever imagined by working for this non-profit for 6 short weeks. And I cannot wait to use the experience I gained at the SCA in my future Marketing career!!

No comments:

Post a Comment