Wednesday, May 23, 2012

the unpacking blues

I have now been home in Northern Virginia for 15 days. 15 days of relaxing with the family, 15 days of catching up with old friends, 15 days of rushing around NOVA, and 15 days to unpack from college. I have been doing all of these things...except for the unpacking part.

Typically I am the kind of girl who feels so anxious to unpack everything immediately after walking in the door. It makes me feel at ease and organized, ready to take on the next big thing. I am not sure why this summer is so different. Maybe it's because I am so "busy" doing other fun summer things. Maybe it's because I am lazy and don't want to organize my room. Or maybe it's because I am in denial that my junior year at Virginia Tech is over, and I am officially a senior.

I think it is a combination of all of these things to be honest. I have been "busy" since I've been home, but that is is no way comparable to how "busy" I was this year at school. The word has two completely different meanings.

Busy at home means driving my brothers to and from school, practice, physical therapy, the grocery store. It means watching The Bachelorette and Revenge with girlfriends, playing Mario Party with the boys, late night trips to Wendy's and Taco Bell. It means watching high school lacrosse games and 8th grade basketball games, shopping with Mom on the weekends. And it means going into Arlington 3-4 days a week for my internship at the Student Conservation Association.

Busy at school...well, you guys get the picture of what that looks like by reading my blog posts throughout the year. Basically at school I have no time to breathe, let alone unpack a few bags. So the fact that I am too "busy" now to unpack seems somewhat ridiculous to me. Everyday I have a Blackberry reminder go off saying "Unpack NOW". Do I do it? Nope. I don't know what it is. I could be unpacking right now since I'm not going into Arlington today and there is nothing else to do for the next 3 hours. But instead I am downstairs typing this blog post.

You could say I have the unpacking blues. Hopefully this will turn around and I will be able to get everything back in its place in a week or two. If not, I will be back to Blacksburg for Orientation in 5 weeks and everything will successfully be packed and ready to go! I guess we will just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment